Trash, Recycling, Chipping & Yard Waste
East Brandywine Township provides the following services:
- Weekly Curbside Collection of Trash and Recycling. This service is available to all residential and limited commercial properties. Regularly scheduled for Thursdays, the service is periodically bid out to waste haulers--The current provider is Republic Services.
- Monthly Curbside Bulk Trash Collection. Provided by Republic Services, this service is always the last collection of each month.
- Six Curbside Yard Waste Collection dates per year. Provided by Republic Services, this new service is performed monthly during the summer months. Collection is typically the last Saturday of May, June, July, August, September and October--be sure to click "View All" on the calendar on the right for exact dates.
- Four Leaf Collection weeks per year. Township Public Works staff use a vacuum trailer to collect leaves for composting. Click "View All" on the calendar on the right for exact dates.
- A limited Wood Chipping Service performed by Township Public Works staff is available on request. The Township further offers tree Mulch for Sale (including delivery) to residents.
- The Township operates a Recycle Center, accepting the same materials that are taken during curbside recycling collection, available to residents 365 days a year and 24 hours a day at the Township Building located at 1214 Horseshoe Pike. Please do not leave yard waste, leaves, or branches at the Recycle Center.
- The Township sponsors an annual volunteer litter pick-up event known as Green-Up East Brandywine.
- The Township co-sponsors multiple Hazardous Household Waste Collection Events throughout the year.
- The Township co-sponsors an annual Shredding & E-Waste Recycling Event.
Mon Oct. 23 - Fri Oct. 27
Thu Oct. 26
Sat Oct. 28
Thu Nov. 2
Mon Nov. 6 - Fri Nov. 10
Thu Nov. 9
Thu Nov. 16
- Thursday is the pick up day for recycling (effective January 1, 2015). Please place recyclables at curbside on Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning (before 5:30 AM) for pick up.
- Recyclables are picked up at curbside once per week. Residents may also utilize our Recycling Center, located at 1214 Horseshoe Pike any day of the week.
- In 2016 the Township received a Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection grant funding to replace our small bins with these new Toter Brand single-stream carts that have larger capacity, lids to prevent recyclables from blowing away, and that are compatible with automated collection. There are two sizes of Toters--with 64 and 35 gallon capacities.
- The 64-gallon Toter was the default container for most stops and any resident whose home received a smaller container can get a larger one by simply asking for it.
- The 35-gallon Toter was provided by default to those homes with very long driveways. This smaller cart will also be provided on request to senior citizens and those with mobility disabilities.
- In extremely rare instances, such as townhomes without garages, no cart was delivered at all--the small legacy bins were retained.
- Put your address on your Township-provided containers for identification; they are your responsibility if lost or stolen. Please contact the Township at 610-269-8230 for a replacement if necessary.
- All residents must participate in our recycling program.
- Annual fee for recycling is $70.00 per residence, itemized on your real estate tax bill.
- #1 thru #7 Plastics (milk, water & soda bottles, laundry care products, and prepared food containers).
- Clear, Green & Brown Glass (beer, liquor and soda bottles, food jars).
- Aluminum, Steel & Tin (beverage and food cans).
- Mixed Paper (newspapers, magazines, phone books, catalogs, cereal boxes, paper grocery bags, office paper, books, envelopes, letters, junk mail, wrapping paper, and similar paper products).
- Cardboard (small boxes) must be flattened.
- Corrugated Boxes (large boxes) must be flattened and taken to the East Brandywine Township drop-off facilities at 1214 Horseshoe Pike. They are not accepted at curbside.
Unacceptable Recycle Items
How To Prepare Your Recyclables
- Cans, bottles, jars and plastics should be rinsed clean.
- Compress plastics and cans to reduce volume; do not break glass.
- All recyclable items may be commingled in any Township-provided container!
- Thursday is the pick up day for trash removal (effective January 1, 2015).
- Annual fee for trash removal is $165.00 per residence, itemized on your real estate tax bill.
- Put your trash at curbside on Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning; the hauler begins collection at 5:30 AM.
- Weekly limit of three 35 gallon containers or an equivalent volume from each residence.
- Residents may substitute one three foot by three foot securely tied bundle for the contents of one 35 gallon container.
- Because the Township pays the landfill tipping fee (per ton cost to dump trash), the hauler will strictly enforce the volume limit.
- By recycling, you can avoid exceeding the allowable amount of trash. Paper accounts for 35% of our waste.
- Bulk trash is accepted on the last pick up day each month.
- One large item is permitted each month, or two 35 gallon containers or bags in addition to weekly limit.
- Weight limited to item two men can easily lift.
- Furniture, small appliance, water heater, or similar items.
- Any air conditioner, refrigerator or freezer must display a sticker certifying the removal of the refrigerant (“freon”) by an authorized dealer or repair facility. Republic Services, our current contract waste hauler, will collect items with refrigerant still inside by appointment and for a fee. Please call the Township for more information. For the safety of our children, please remove the doors from refrigerators and freezers before placing the items by the curb.
- Automotive parts, tires, building materials, construction debris, and e-waste. What is e-waste? Desktop/laptop computers, monitors, printers, copiers, televisions (all kinds including cathode ray tube, LED, LCD, and plasma), answering machines, camcorders, cell phones, laptop docking stations, electric typewriters, fax/copy machines, microwaves, radios, pagers, remote controls, gaming consoles, stereo/tape/CD players, telephones & equipment, toner/ink cartridges, and VCR/DVD players. For the remainder of 2016 e-waste will be accepted to be recycled for free at the Chester County Solid Waste Authority's Lanchester landfill. Contact information, hours, and location are at: www.chestercountyswa.org.
- Household Hazardous Waste. What is Household Hazardous Waste? These are products in your home bearing any of these warnings on the label: Caution; Combustible; Corrosive; Danger; Explosive; Flammable; Hazardous; Poisonous; Reactive; Toxic; and/or Warning. The municipalities of Chester County, including East Brandywine Township, sponsor multiple Household Hazardous Waste collection events throughout the year. Click this link for a list of 2016 events.
- Recyclable items. Please see the Curbside Recycling tab on this page for details about recycling.
- Leaves and similar yard waste materials. The Township provides curbside pick up of leaves in the Spring & Fall. Call 610-269-8230 or check the Township website www.ebrandywine.org for dates.
- Christmas trees are accepted at the Municipal Complex after Christmas until late February for composting.
Leaves awaiting collection.
Fall leaf collection for 2017 will be:
- The week of October 23;
- The week of November 6; and
- The week of November 27.
If you have any further questions, please contact the East Brandywine Township Office at 610-269-8230. Thank you for your participation and cooperation.
Yard Waste Collection
As a service to residents, beginning in 2015 there will be an additional monthly pick-up of certain bagged yard waste during the spring through early fall. The schedule for 2017 is as follows:
- Saturday, May 20
- Saturday, June 24
- Saturday, July 29
- Saturday, August 26
- Saturday, September 30
- Saturday, October 28
What will be collected? “Yard Waste” is restricted to biodegradable material such as leaves, grass and small branches or twigs (no more than ½ inch in diameter) from general yard and garden maintenance. Yard Waste does not include large branches or tree limbs over ½ inch in diameter.
How will it be collected? Yard Waste must be contained in biodegradable bags available at area hardware stores (such as Village Hardware on Route 322). Residents may also place Yard Waste in clean trash cans (they must be completely clean of any household refuse as all Yard Waste is taken to a composting facility which cannot allow contamination of their compost grounds). Allowed trash cans are a maximum size of 95 gallons. Small branches or twigs must not be bundled with string (again, an issue for the composting facility), but must be placed in the bags or cans. All Yard Waste should be put in appropriate containers, and left at curbside on the last Friday night of the month or very early on the last Saturday morning of the month (pick-up can start as early as 5:30am).
Each resident is allowed a one-time visit up to 15 minutes of chipping per calendar year. A calendar year starts January 1 and ends December 31. After 15 minutes, a $25 charge for every 15 minutes is charged. Second chipping in calendar year is $25 charge for every 15 minutes. Residents that call and have not put out materials will still count as one free chipping. If the resident has not paid any previous fees, no further chipping will be allowed.
Call the Township at (610) 269-8230 to schedule your visit. Limb lengths should be as long as possible with the cut ends left facing the road and limbs should be no greater than 6-8” in diameter.
Township employees can limit time spent chipping due to workload. Please list name, address, and phone number, along with billing address, if different. Township employees will document arrival time, completion time on work order, and initial.
During an emergency, township employees will chip material free of charge to clear roadway; any additional chipping will be done by appointment. We will no longer chip for free after a major storm.
Mulch Sales***SPRING 2017 MULCH SUPPLY SOLD OUT***
Payment in the form of cash or check is required upon delivery or pick-up. Requests for mulch may be made using this form.
East Brandywine Township Residents:
- The cost is $15.00 per yard picked up or delivered.
- There is a $10.00 delivery charge
- Delivery is free for residents that purchase a full load (6 yards)
- The cost is $15.00 per yard picked up or delivered.
- There is a $30.00 deliver charge outside of the Township within a 10 mile radius.
- There will be an additional $2.00 per mile charge outside the 10 mile radius. There is no discount for a full load.